Kitchen fires can happen in the blink of an eye and spread just as fast. It’s important to know how to properly respond so you don’t panic and become overwhelmed in moment.
One of the most common sources of kitchen fires is grease. These types of fires occur in several ways. The majority of grease fires happen when cooking oil becomes overheated; it starts to boil and smoke just before igniting into flames. They can also start from built up dried oil/grease on your stove or in the over and fryer.
So, what do you do if a grease fire (or any fire) starts in your kitchen?
While the best way to put out a grease fire is to use a fire extinguisher, there are a few other quick ways using common household items that will help to address the situation.
Most important to remember – DO NOT USE WATER! Since the source of a grease fire is a liquid, it is easily splashed and will only help to spread the fire more.
Baking soda releases carbon dioxide which helps to smother the flames. It is only recommended to be used on small fires since it will require a large quantity to effectively put out any sizeable fire.
Salt absorbs heat well and can be used to fight grease fires. Approximately one cup of salt can help to put out a small grease fire.
Use a metal lid to cover the pot/pan in use to prevent the fire from getting more oxygen. Be sure to use a metal lid as a glass lid will shatter.
Always call 911 should the fire be a serious and unmanageable situation. As a first line of defense, you keep a fire extinguisher easily accessible in your kitchen and be sure to regularly check your smoke detectors in every room of your home.